Look Up Days

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Melancholia- Not as good as I thought it would be. As a somewhat fan of Lars Von Trier's previous works, 'Antichrist' and 'Dogville', I expected something a little bit more… I don't know, entertaining. 'Melancholia' is slow, clearly indulgent, and a bit obvious. From the opening sequence (which is the best part of the film) you know what will happen, so you are just waiting to get to know the characters, in the hopes of getting to know them and their minds before they are turned to dust in the destruction of the planet Earth from the collision of the Planet Melancholia. But no, Trier isn't interested in that. I never felt close to any characters. Just when you think that you understand a character, he pulls the rug from you and makes them do something that seems out of character. Sure it's interesting to watch, but no, it's not really enjoyable or well written. Part 1 is an irrelevant wedding that is meant to show Kirsten Dunst's character Justine is just oh so depressed (though she does give a good performance). But why show her wedding if, A) she won't be married in the second part and B) the repercussions of her choices in part 1 hardly show up in part 2. Part 2 was actually entertaining. With the threat of Melancholia being prevalent (there is hardly any mention of it in Part 1) and taking the perspective of Charlotte Gainsbourg's Claire (much more interesting character), trying to keep the family together while realizing all of their time has come. Kiefer Sutherland and her worked well together, and they actually made a pretty realistic (but obviously troubled) couple with a child. Actually, I enjoyed part 2 even though it was kind of like watching a candle burn. When it comes down to it all, I chalk this film up to a naked Kirsten Dunst. Certainly not as life changing or even as depressing as I was told it would be. I though it was relatively tame in terms of making me sad. Don't say I didn't get it. I understood the back and forth metaphor for the depression and the planet colliding. It just wasn't all that surprising or interesting to me. The opening visuals are awe-inspiring but after that, it gets handheld and I just didn't care as much. It was okay, but not too special. I had high expectations so don't blame me for not loving it as much as you did.



- Jeff Bassin

No comments:

Post a Comment