Look Up Days

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday August 7, 2011

Little Monsters- A fun kids movie from back in the day that is a good watch but there is so much to pick on that its partially hard to enjoy. Howie Mandel's impression of Betelgeuse only goes so far, and it's the mean spirited attitude of the monsters that provides odd humor for a children's movie. Even if the kid has a bully that makes fun of him and picks on him, does that really give him the right to sneak into his house late at night and pee in his apple juice container. But I can forgive that, only there's more. At the end of the film, their entrance way to the mortal world from the monster world is closed because the sun is up. This should mean that the kids are trapped and will become monsters. Only the loophole is that they can go to a different state around the world to find a place where they can exit without the sun. Doesn't this mean that nobody has to become monsters? Was everyone too stupid before them to run to a different time zone? Oh well, this is a 'Goonies' level movie with a horror lime twist to it, so its all in a playful spirit, but if I'm watching something with my future kids or am feeling nostalgic, I should probably just go with 'The Goonies'… also, I feel like this one could scare kids, so obviously that's not great for the family.



Don't Look Under the Bed- Another horror kids film, this from the Disney Channel Original Movie brand (though I found a copy of it on Youtube after feeling nostalgic for this one after 'Little Monsters') and I like it much more than Little Monsters… although it is much creepier. Despite overusing the Dutch 'Sideways' Angle to create an eerie abnormal effect probably way too much, it is used for the right purposes. Anywho, I wanted to begin by saying, now this is quality for an old kids movie. It is certainly scary (gives me a bit of chills after its done, but when I saw it when I was younger, I was fearing' like crazy cause of this one… Well, not as bad as 'The Ring', but you get the idea. Anyways, the leads are both solid, it is filled with fun moments and creepy ones, and everything almost ties up perfectly. Except for never telling us why the lead could see the imaginary friend but not the Boogeyman character, and then letting her see the Boogeyman character at the end with no explanation, this is a kids film I mark with an appropriate amount of good nostalgia.



- Jeff Bassin

No comments:

Post a Comment