Look Up Days

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wednesday September 21, 2011

Footloose- This is the original we are talking about. Though I will get to the upcoming one before this review is done with. First thing I need to say, the original is cheesy. It's got a silly plot (although plausible) and has ridiculous dance sequences that would make little sense in reality. It's not a musical, so outside of it's campy center is just 80s fun. In fact, the entire film's plot structure revolves around the events that slowly force this new kid to change his entire town. On that point, I enjoyed every minute of it. I wasn't blown away, but it was fun and it made its point. I don't see why it has so much praise. Kevin Bacon was a star in this film so that's great and all, and I'm sure that the new one will fail to have the same effect on its audience in any way at all, cast or otherwise. But it's a harmless movie. It's about the effect of dancing releasing you from pressure and stress. Based on the trailer that I saw for the new one, it seems like the same movie as the 84' one. Like literally. Like shots and songs all remind me of the original. Also, it's directed by Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow, Black Snake Moan), who is a competent director. I think he can handle a tween film. The only problem I can think of would be that it lacks originality and just remakes everything with the original and adds hip hop songs to make it modern (apparently Brewer used the original screenplay and use added pieces of modernism, like a "Frankenstein" screenplay). Might get boring for fans of the original. But I don't really think 'Footloose' is an instant classic anyways, and I don't really plan on seeing the new one (at least not until it's on dvd, netflix, etc.).

FYI, I dug the 'Footloose' reference 'Modern Family' made tonight.



- Jeff Bassin

No comments:

Post a Comment