Look Up Days

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wednesday October 5, 2011 - AMERICAN HORROR STORY PREMIERES

It's been a while since I've posted anything (busy and all that junk, so I wrote a review for another premiere.

American Horror Story- I'm going to be honest. First look, awesome. Second look, blah, what the fu#$? Third look, Ughhh. I mean, it's an intriguing show premise, like that of the novel 'House of Leaves', but it's confusing and way too over the top for me to "want" to willingly invest my time in it. Obviously, that means I will. Hopefully it pays off. Also, I feel like it's stealing elements of horror films rather than paying homage to them. There are way too many, "hey, that reminds me of the twins in 'The Shining' and that reminds me of the weird old lady that appears young in 'The Shining'" moments for this show to leave an "Original" impression on me. Sure, it's got that weirdo pushing boundaries style that Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk presented over and over again in their previous show, 'Nip/Tuck' (I remember all the old ads for it claiming it as the most "Provocative show on television"), but that show ran out of story arc ideas after three seasons and this one seems like it has even less room to build on. Keep in mind Murphy and Falchuk are also responsible for the ever so losing interest and ideas, 'Glee', so perhaps that may become a factor as the show progresses. Plan ahead guys, Joss Whedon style. Then again, Whedon's recent TV efforts are cancelled before their time while everything these two do end up in that 'The Office' time continuum. When will it end? Steve Carell is gone. That was the show. But that's not the point. This show is okay. At least for now. I mean, how much insanity can a family face before they either kill themselves or each other? In fact, that could be the new title. Ehh, too long. But it would summarize the show better than it's current.



- Jeff Bassin

No comments:

Post a Comment