Look Up Days

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice- A Review



Okay, let’s get the point across here. Obviously Nic Cage's new movie from the director of the "National Treasure" series (Jon Turteltaub) is not going to compare to most of the more mature films in theaters. But that is not where I find my argument.

Plot, The Sorcerer’s Apprentice: Yes, it may be a little bit obvious, but the film stars the bit too nasally Jay Baruchel as a NYU Physics student who becomes the Apprentice of an ancient Sorcerer named Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage, in a kind of tame performance…well at least by his standards) in order to defeat another Sorcerer named Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina, with great comic timing). There’s your classic love interest (Teresa Palmer), a witty roommate (Omar Benson Miller), an evil Sorceress named Morgana (Alice Krige), yes, that’s her name, and a whole bunch of other stereotypes. But it’s all in good fun, I can tell Disney spent their money’s worth on the SFX, and some of the joke had enough set up to actually make me laugh. I’m sure people would disagree, but I kind of had fun with this movie, at least this time around. Plus, I may be on my own, but I enjoyed the homage to Fantasia. Well, I guess it's not really a homage if the movie was based on the premise of that bit with Yen Sid.

Either way, kudos Bruckheimer, for making another disposable piece of popcorn entertainment to eat and drink up (which I did, had a popcorn and a soda).


The Sorcerer's Apprentice: More enjoyable for a child...or the child in you

- Jeff Bassin

No comments:

Post a Comment